One of the first things people always ask me is: ‘Why cows?’
It’s funny how originally a city girl like myself, ends up painting cows….
I’m sure moving to the Lake District had a lot to do with this. I find inspiration on our many walks and cycles. We always have a camera handy.
I just love painting animals. This was the first cow I photographed on Coniston Old Man in 1996, she was trying to lick itself. Really enjoyed painting her, so I tried a few more. It all grew from there.
One of the first things I paint is the eyes. This helps me to find the character of the animal, almost like we bond.
‘I observe animals, their shapes, gestures and mannerisms and in developing my ideas, I take them quite often out of their context. I like using bold colours.
In my work, I explore the possibilities of bringing the subjects in and out of focus. Composition plays an important role in my paintings.
I enjoy the gathering of information as much as I do the painting. Cows are funny creatures. Just like humans, they have their own characteristics. Their faces show expressions and a curiosity that never stop to amaze and fascinate me.’
I was born in Bruges(Belgium) and finished my studies in Interior Architecture in 1993. After a 3-year break, during which I worked as an educational assistant in an immigration center, traveled to the states, Ghana and several countries in Europe.
In 1995 I had a holiday romance in the mountains of Andalusia, which was the reason I moved to Kendal. It was my partner (now husband) who encouraged me, to start painting again
With my boys growing up, our house was getting to small to keep working from home.
In the summer of 2013, I opened the Studio-Gallery in Kendal, where I was painting and selling from. In the summer of 2017 we opened the Windermere Studio-Gallery, and in May 2018, we moved everything to Windermere. This space allows me also to run workshops, and with it’s lovely big windows is a very pleasant spaces to be in
The space feels nice and peaceful. I feel inspired working here.
You may have seen my work also at these places
Vince Cable and Tim Farron at the Mintworks in Kendal
I have been teaching art since 1997
Adult education: Courses at the Brewery Arts Centre, demonstrations and workshops all over Cumbria, and even in Abergavenny
Children: workshops in schools around Cumbria, working with all ages.
Student work(both adults and children) can be found on this Facebook page
2008-2015 Alpha 1 Marketing has been representing me and selling limited edition prints and originals all over the UK and Ireland
I was short listed twice, 2009 and 2010, for the category Best-selling up and coming artist at The Art and Framing Industry Awards hosted by the Fine Art Trade guilt.
This is my contribution to GO HERDWICK, in 2016
a fundraising project for the Calvert trust.
The sheep was on display along the route the 555 bus takes between Windermere and Keswick.
Beatrix was in the Gardens of the lovely Cedar Manor hotel in Windermere
This sheep sold for £5000, A total of nearly £250000 was raised
- Sinds 1998 Ongoing Exhibition at the Jumble Room, Grasmere
- 2018, 17 Farmhouse Kitchen, Kendal
- 2018, 17, 16, 15 Mintworks, Kendal
- 2016 Sun Inn, Crook
- 2015 Wilf’s Café, Staveley
- 2014 Country Harvest, Igleton22012, 11, 09, 08, 07, 06 Open Studio end exhibition in the house
- 2012, 11, 10, 09 Lowsizergbarn, Sizergh, near Kendal
- 2007 Percyhouse Cockermouth
- 2007 Yew Tree Barn, High Newton, Cumbria
- 2006 Gallery15, Penrith
- 2006 Theatre by the Lake, Keswick
- 2005 Artisan, Kendal
- 2002 Editions Ltd., Blue Coat Chambers, Liverpool.
- 2000 Sizergh Barn shop Sizergh.
- 1999 Odd Fellows Contemporary Art Ltd, Kendal.
- 1998 Brewery Arts Centre, Kendal.
- 2018, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 09 Lowsizergbarn, Sizergh, near Kendal
- 2016, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 09, 08, 07 NEC Spring fair, Birmingham
- 2018, 17, 16, 15, 14 Percyhouse Cockermouth
- 2017, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12, 11., 10, 09, 08, 07,06,05 Finestra Gallery, Kirkby Longsdale
- 2016, 15 Christmas Markets in Kirkby Lonsdale, Kendal, Lakes School, Junction 36
- 2014 Christmas Markets in Hawkshead, Kendal, Junction 36
- 2012, 11, 10, 09, 08, 07 NEC Spring fair, Birmingham
- 2011, The Untitled Artist Fair, Chelsea
- 2012-2006 Finestra Gallery, Kirkby Longsdale
- 2012 ,11 ,10, 09, 08, 07 Yew Tree Barn, High Newton, Cumbria
- 2012-97 Green Door Studios Group Exhibitions.
- 2012-09 Stockbrigde gallery, dogs in art, Hampshire
- 2011, 09 Kendal Museum, Kendal
- 2010,09,08,07 ORIGINALS ART, Bridgenorth, Shropshire
- 2010, 09, 08 AFFORDABLE ART FAIR, London, Edinbrugh, Bristol, Antwerp
- 2010,09,08,07,06, 05 FINESTRA GALLERY,Kirkby Lonsdale
- 2009, 02 art @ Cedarfarm, Lancashire
- 2008,07 NEC Autumn fair, Birmingham
- 2008 HOUSE OF BRUAR, Perthshire
- 2008 PERCY HOUSE,Cockermouth
- 2008, 07,06,05 Finestra Gallery, Kirkby Longsdale
- 2007 VIBRANT ART, Stow on de Wold
- 2007 ART ROOM 59, Dunfermline,Fife
- 2005, 02 Brewery Open, Brewery Arts Centre, Kendal.
- 2002 Brantwood, Coniston.
- 2006, 02 The Pinfold Gallery, Bowness.
- 2001 Museum Gallery, Keswick.
- 1999,00,01,02 Lakes Artist Show, Grasmere.
- 1999 Millennium Show, Odd Fellows Contemporary Art Ltd.
- 1999 Upfront Gallery, Skelton, near Preston.
- 1998 Lintoncourt Gallery, Settle.
- 1997 Green Door Studios Members Exhibition, Brewery Arts Centre, Kendal.
I also exhibit in many more galleries throughout the UK and Ireland, and have work in private collections in Great Britain and abroad.
Back to Top